History Of Volvo Cars
The Volvo Group is a Swedish multinational manufacturing company headquartered in Gothenburg. While its core activity is the production, distribution and sale of trucks, buses and construction equipment, Volvo also supplies marine and industrial drive systems and financial services. Although the two firms are still often conflated, Volvo Cars, also based in Gothenburg, is owned by Geely Holding Group, a Chinese multinational automotive manufacturing company, and has been a totally separate company since it was sold to the Ford Motor Company in 1999.
The Volvo Group has its origin in 1927, when the first Volvo car rolled off the production line at the factory in Gothenburg. Only 280 cars were built that year. The first truck, the Series 1, debuted in January 1928, as an immediate success and attracted attention outside the country. The first bus, named B1, was launched in 1934, and aircraft engines were added to the growing range of products at the beginning of the 1940s.[i]
Volvo Group’s operations include:[ii]
- Mack Trucks
- Renault Trucks
- SDLG (Shandong Lingong Construction Machinery Co., Ltd., China)
- UD Trucks
- Volvo Buses
- VE Commercial Vehicles Ltd (VECV), a 50:50 joint venture between the Volvo Group and Eicher Motors Limited
- Volvo Construction Equipment
- Volvo Financial Services
- Volvo Information Technology
- Volvo Penta
- Volvo Trucks
Volvo cars Manufacturing Plants in India
Volvo Buses India Private Limited has a manufacturing Plant in Hoskote, Bengaluru for manufacturing of Volvo Buses.
Volvo Buses India Pvt Ltd. Manufacturing Plant in Hoskote, Bengaluru
Achievements and Awards of Volvo Cars
- A collection of Volvo’s most important historical vehicles are now housed in the Volvo Museum, which opened in a permanent location in Arendal at Hisingen on 30 May 1995. Learn more about it here.
- On 24 February 2015, Swedish company Volvo Cars, owned by Chinese Zhejiang Geely Holding Group since 2010, was announced winner of the third Lifetime Achievement Trophy. The Lifetime Achievement Trophy event is designed by Flanders Investment & Trade (FIT) to reward foreign investors for their ongoing commitment to the Flanders region. Learn more about it here.
- Volvo Cars of North America was awarded the World Traffic Safety Symposium’s 2014 World Traffic Safety Achievement Award on April 25 at the New York International Auto Show. Learn more about it here.
- Volvo Cars have won many Awards like Safest Car of the year, Premium Car of the year, Readers Car of the year, Family Car of the year, Green Large SUV of the year, imported Car of the year, Eco friend Car of the year and many more. Learn more about it here.
Popular Volvo cars in India
- Volvo V40
- Volvo V40 Cross Country
- Volvo S60
- Volvo S80
- Volvo XC60
- Volvo S90
- Volvo XC90