Royal Enfield was a brand of Enfield Cycle Company and it is among the oldest motorcycle companies started in 1893 by British Automakers. The Enfield Cycle Company manufactured and sold motorcycles, bicycles, lawnmowers and stationary engines. Presently, Royal Enfield and indigenous Madras Motors are the subsidiaries of Eicher Motors Limited, an Indian automaker. The company makes the Royal Enfield Bullet, and other single-cylinder motorcycles.
The Indian government wanted motorcycles for its police and army, for patrolling the country’s border. The Royal Enfield Bullet was chosen for this as the best suitable bike. The government ordered 800 Bullet 350 cc model bikes. To complete the order the Redditch company and Madras Motors in India formed ‘Enfield India’ to assemble the 350 cc Royal Enfield Bullet motorcycle in Chennai under license. The tooling was sold to Enfield India so that they could manufacture components. By 1962, all components were made in India.
Royal Enfield has a manufacturing plant in Thiruvottiyur, Chennai and one more greenfield manufacturing facility at Oragadam near Chennai since 2013. The total manufacturing capacity of the two plants is 450000 units per annum. In order to double its total production one more manufacturing plant will be set up in Vallam Vadagal on the outskirts of Chennai in the year 2018. Royal Enfield motorcycles are still made in the old fashioned way. i.e. they are handcrafted in Chennai.
The brand Royal Enfield, popularly known as ‘RE’ by biking enthusiasts in India, has created a whole new revolution for the love of Motor-biking. Though it could be titled as one of the youngest brands to be re-born in India, the brand has leaped forward with brilliant strategies. The popularity of the bikes, have even made tougher terrains in the Himalayas to be termed as ‘Royal Enfield Biking paths’. The urban population has also accepted the motorbikes and have a become a sensation amongst the population. There are many biking groups, which unite riders of ‘Royal Enfield’ motorbikes and indulge in exploring new trails around metro cities. Numerous women riders have also found liking towards these bikes.
Beats of Indian Freedom – Royal Enfield Commercial Ad
Popular Royal Enfield Motorcycles in India
- Cafe Racer – Continental GT
- Retro Street – Classic Squadron blue
- Standard Street – Thunderbird 500
- Cruiser – Bullet 500
- 5th position in Motorcycle sales in India leaving behind Yamaha which is currently on 6th position. Learn more about it here.
- It records highest-ever sales milestone in March 2016. Enfield reported total domestic sales of 50,059 units during March 2016 as against sales of 32,854 units in March 2015. Learn more about it here.
- Enfield overtook top world brand Harley Davidson in terms of sales; approximately 3,00,000 units were sold by Enfield in 2014 as compared to 2,67,000 sold by Harley Davidson. Learn more about it here.
- The newly launched motorcycle Himalayan is most versatile motorcycle, able to take riders almost everywhere either on-road or off-road. They claim Himalayan is ‘Built for all roads. Built for no roads’.
- Thunderbird 500, Thunderbird, Continental GT and Bullet classic c5 have won different awards like ‘2012 Enthusiast Motorcycle 250cc –500cc’, ‘Motorcycle of the Year’,’Indian Motorcycle of the Year’ and ‘Best Bike (Metric-Stock)’ respectively.
The manufacture has an online store where you can buy apparels, accessories and bags. It has all the riding essentials used on working day or on weekends, versatile riding gear for every whether and terrain and many latest accessories and apparels.