Leather Car Seat Repair – Repairing Cracked and Torn Leather Car Seats
Leather car seats are preferred by most people, as they give a luxurious and stylish look to the car. The problem with leather is, it gets damaged in the course of time and it starts looking ugly in the car and totally destroys the interior furnishing of your car. The leather gets cracked due to weather and temperature changes and if you don’t take care of this, it will eventually fall into torn seat category. Replacement of a torn out leather car seat is much more expensive than repairing them. However, to maintain the luxurious look, special care is needed to keep it soft and beautiful. Here are some quick fixes for your leather car seat which will not only prevent it from excessive damage but also improves the life span of your car seats.
Repair cracked leather car seat:
Always keep auto leather repair kit in your car. It contains the all the items needed to repair the crack.
- Start by cleaning the seat with warm water and mild liquid soap. Rub the denatured alcohol over the damaged part and dry it with a soaking paper or cloth.
- Check if the leather becomes dry. Once it is dry, you can gently sand away the cracked areas with sandpaper.
- To seal the cracks use liquid leather sealant product.
- Dye the affected area carefully with leather dye to match the rest of the seat.
- Allow the seats to dry completely before using it again.
Repair torn leather car seat:
To fix the torn leather and reduce the ugliness of a tear, you can opt two ways.
- By using Needle and thread.
- First use the scissor to cut the loose threads to make them smooth and easy to repair.
- Use needle and thread to sew the torn part back in place.
- A new piece can also be used underneath the damaged part and stitched carefully to minimise the thread appearance.
- By using Liquid leather Adhesive
- Keep new leather patch underneath the tears and position them properly.
- Brush the liquid adhesive around the edges of the tears and press it gently.
- Use sandpaper to smooth any rough surface.
- Fill the gaps if any with leather putty and dye the affected leather to match the existing leather seat.
Preventing leather from cracks and tears
It is always good to take economic steps in saving the current assets despite purchasing the new alternatives. Here are some of the preventive measures that can protect your car seats from aging, tears, and cracks.
- Avoid exposure to the sun: If the leather seat is exposed to the sun for a long time, it can crack the seat and the colour will fade. To avoid this, use sun shield on the windshield of the vehicle. And also make the window glass, tinted to minimise the sun’s intensity.
- Clean and protect leather: The seat should be cleaned and conditioned regularly. Always use a gentle cleaner which is designed for leather and also protect the leather from bulky and sharp objects.
Leather car seats must be cared regularly to maintain its texture and beauty. You should regularly check for any perforated areas on the car’s seats and undertake on time repair of the car’s leather seat. Ensure that the water, cleanser or conditioner doesn’t accumulate in to the holes. In case of if dirt particles are stuck into the holes, proactively vacuum your seats and try to suck up the particles of dirt.
Here are some of the Bangalore’s best leather car seat repair shops:
Learn more about the leather car seat covers in our blog Leather Car Seat Covers – Types of Leathers.