Harley Davidson is an iconic American motorcycle manufacturer. It is one of the world’s largest motorcycle manufacturers and an iconic brand is widely known for its loyal fan following. The company produces traditional cruiser motorcycles utilizing air cooled V-twin engines and they are heavyweight with an engine displacement greater than 700 cm.
History of Harley Davidson
It was founded out of a small shed in 1903 by William S. Harley and brothers Arthur and Walter Davidson in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Harley Davidson India is a wholly owned subsidiary of Harley Davidson, based in Gurgaon, Haryana, India. Harley Davidson India commenced operations in August 2009 and appointed its first dealership in July 2010.
It started an assembly facility for complete knock down (CKD) kits of its motorcycles in India in 2011, making it only the second CKD facility outside the US, after Brazil. In 2014 Harley began production of their Harley-Davidson Street 500 and 750 models in India for domestic sales and export. It has a manufacturing plant at Bawal, Haryana.
Harley Davidson Manufacturing plant at Haryana, India
Harley-Davidson offers a range of 14 models in India from each of its six platforms – Sportster, Dyna, Softail, V-Rod, Touring and Street. In addition to a full range of parts, accessories, and general merchandise, available through authorised dealerships. Each of the 6 Harley-Davidson motorcycle platforms boasts of a distinct character and caters to the varied sensibilities of broad range of customers. 8 of these 14 models are assembled at the CKD assembly unit at Bawal in Haryana.
Harley Davidson motorcycle types
Harley Davidson models in India
- Harley Davidson Street – Harley Davidson Street 750, Street Rod
- Sportster – Iron 883, 1200 Custom, Forty Eight, Roadster
- Dyna – Street Bob, Fat Bob
- Soft Tail – Fat Boy, Heritage Softail Classic
- Touring – Road king, Street Glide Special, Road Glide Special
- CVO – CVO Limited
Harley-Davidson India sells a range of Harley-Davidson genuine parts and accessories along with general merchandise including motor clothes apparel and collectibles. You can also but them from online store.
- Harley-Davidson India has received the ‘Trade Excellence’ award for operational excellence in manufacturing, by the Indo-American Chamber of Commerce (IACC). Learn more about it here.
- With Harley Davidson Owner clubs and events worldwide it also has a company sponsored brand focused museum.
- It made an entry into the world of motorcycle racing in 1914 and within a few years the Harley-Davidson team had earned the nickname of the ‘wrecking crew’, such was its success. The most successful dirt tracker in H-D history was Scott Parker, who tallied 93 wins and nine championship titles under the Bar and Shield banner. Another Flat Track racer linked to the Harley name and the XR750 is Chris Carr, a seven-time Flat Track champion. Learn more about it here.