History of Fiat cars & Maserati Cars in India
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV is an Italian-controlled multinational corporation incorporated in the Netherlands. It is currently the world’s seventh-largest auto maker. It was established in late 2014 by merging Fiat S.p.A. into a new holding company, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles N.V., which is incorporated in the Netherlands. FCA’s mass-market brands operates through two main subsidiaries: FCA Italy and FCA US .The company’s portfolio includes many well-known automotive Brands including Alfa Romeo, Chrysler, Dodge, Fiat, Fiat Professional, Jeep, Lancia, Ram trucks, Abarth, Mopar and SRT. FCA also owns Maserati, Comau, Magneti Marelli, and Teksid. Today FCA operates in four regions (NAFTA, LATAM, APAC, EMEA)
FCA India Automobiles Private Limited (FCAIPL) formerly known as Fiat Group Automobiles India Private Limited was formed in the year 2012 as a fully owned direct subsidiary of FCA Spa Italy. It is the ninth largest Indian car manufacturer by sales in India.
Fiat brand in India was earlier represented through a Joint Venture company called Fiat India Automobiles Pvt Ltd., FIAPL founded in the year 1997 with Fiat S.p.A and Tata Motors as the two partners coming together to produce cars for both brands in a plant set up through joint investments at Ranjangaon, in Pune district of Maharashtra.
Even today the Tata Fiat JV plant operates under the FIAL name, as an independent entity and it produces Fiat & Tata brand cars for FCAIPL (Fiat India NSC) & Tata Motors respectively. The company presently employs about 2600 employees. It also undertakes contract manufacturing of engines for Maruti Suzuki India Ltd & Premier Automobiles. Prior to this, Fiat used to sell the 1100, 124 and Uno in India, manufactured under license by Premier Automobiles Limited.
Fiat cars Manufacturing Plants in India
Fiat has a manufacturing plant at Ranjangaon, Maharashtra, which has an installed capacity to produce 135,000 cars and engines, besides aggregates and components. The car plant manufactures both Fiat and Tata cars.[i]
Fiat Manufacturing Plant at Ranjangaon, Maharashtra
- Fiat 500 the world’s first city car, it was built to compete with motorcycles and scooters and so had to be priced accordingly. Yet it was equal parts ingenious and affordable. Fiat has recently announced a special, limited edition of the Fiat 500. It’s unimaginatively called the 500-60th to mark and celebrate the Fiat 500’s 60th anniversary. Learn more about it here.
- Fiat Panda, PanDakar has set an all-time first in the history of the Dakar by being the first Italian Car and the first utility Car derived from a standard vehicle to successfully complete the most iconic Rallies. Learn more about it here.
- The Fiat 124 Spider Europa, a sports Car with iconic design created for pure driving pleasure is introduced in limited edition. Learn more about it here.
- The Company’s Commercial song “Smells like Teen Spirit” for Fiat 500 is the Iconic Song of all time. Learn more about it here.
Popular Fiat car Models in India
- Fiat Linea.
- Fiat Avventura.
- Fiat Abarth Punto.
- Fiat Punto EVO.
- Fiat 500.
- Fiat Punto Pure.
- Fiat Avventura Urban Cross.
- Fiat Linea Classic.
- Fiat Abarth Avventura
History of Maserati cars in India
Maserati is an Italian luxury vehicle manufacturer established on 1 December 1914, in Bologna. The Maserati tagline is “Luxury, sports and style cast in exclusive cars”, and the brand’s mission statement is to “Build ultra-luxury performance automobiles with timeless Italian style, accommodating bespoke interiors, and effortless, signature sounding power”. The trident Logo of the Maserati Cars Company is based on the Fountain of Neptune in Bologna’s Piazza Maggiore.
Maserati stands for Italian design, performance, craftsmanship and heritage, and of course exclusivity. Maserati is now a global brand operating in over 70 markets. Unlike any other manufacturer, Maserati has succeeded in instilling within its cars both heritage and innovation, past and future, memory and vision. Its heart may be rooted in its Italian heritage, but its eyes are firmly focused on the future.
Popular Maserati cars in India
- Maserati Ghibli.
- Maserati Quattroporte.
- Maserati GranTurismo.
- Maserati GranCabrio.