History of Chevrolet cars in India
Chevrolet or the Chevy as it is popularly known was founded in 1911 by Louis Chevrolet, A Swiss race car driver and automotive engineer. It was founded along with William C. Durant and investment partners William Little, James H. Whiting, Dr. Edwin R. Campbell and in 1912 R. S. McLaughlin CEO of General Motors in Canada.
Chevrolet cars came to India in 2003. An office was set up in Bombay with an assembly plant constructed in Sewree. General Motors was the first automobile company to open an assembly plant in India. Vehicle Production started in 1928 with the National Series AB Touring. In 1952-53 the ‘socialist’ Indian Government forced General Motors India to shut shop, along with other foreign car companies However, in 2003 Chevrolet Sales India was established and the Chevrolet brand was re-launched in India. It replaced Opel as the only brand offering by General Motors India Private Limited.
Chevrolet cars Manufacturing Plants in India
The company operates two manufacturing facilities in India including the Halol Manufacturing Plant in the state of Gujarat, with a manufacturing capacity of 1,27,000 units per annum and the Talegaon Manufacturing Plant in the state of Maharashtra 1,65,000 units per annum. It also operates the Flexi Propulsion Systems Plant at Talegaon under a capacity of 160,000 engines per annum.
Chevrolet Manufacturing plant at Talegaon, Maharashtra
Achievements of Chevrolet Cars
- The Chevrolet V8 design was first launched in 1955 and has been produced uninterrupted ever since. The current-day models are updated versions of the original engine.
- A red 1967 Chevy Corvette L88 is among the most expensive vehicles in the world.
- In the United States the Chevrolet was the top selling car brand in 2011.
- In 2010, 1 out of every 1,615 people across the globe bought a Chevrolet.
- 2/3rd of the world’s roads have Chevrolet’s.
- Chevrolet Celebrates Five Generations of the Iconic Camaro. Since the introduction of the first Chevrolet Camaro back in 1967, the pony car has become an iconic piece of automotive history, and helped shape a design legacy that is about to enter its sixth generation.
- As of 2010 Chevrolet had operations in over 140 countries, and global sales in 2011 set a record with 4.76 million vehicles sold worldwide.
- The Chevrolet Bolt won several awards including the 2017 Motor Trend Car of the Year award, the 2017 AutoGuide.com Reader’s Choice Green Car of the Year, Green Car Reports Best Car To Buy 2017, Green Car Journal’s 2017 Green Car of the Year, and was listed in Time Magazine Best 25 Inventions of the Year of 2016.
Popular Chevrolet cars
- Chevrolet Spark.
- Chevrolet Beat.
- Chevrolet Sail Hatchback.
- Chevrolet Sail.
- Chevrolet Enjoy.
- Chevrolet Tavera.
- Chevrolet Cruze.
- Chevrolet Trailblazer.