Helmets : Essential safety element for two wheeler drivers
According to the reports by Indian Head Injury Foundation (IHIF), New Delhi approximately 15% of the road accidents are contributed by two wheeler drivers. IHIF recommends helmets as the basic and essential element of protection from head injuries. It is for every two wheeler driver, because of their vulnerability to head injuries.
The basic categorization of Helmets are made depending upon the ride type. Motorcycle helmets are all the way different from cycling helmets or sports car helmets in terms of size, fit and material make. Generally it has been found that cycle helmets or sports helmets weigh much lesser in comparison to motorcycle helmets or scooter helmets . However, the protection capability for every helmet depends on effective helmet usage, accurate fit and weight according to the effort involved in using the respective ride property, and many more.
Tips for choosing a best Helmet
We have put together a few buying tips that you would need to assess, which can help you choose the best helmet for your motorcycle or scooter.
- Comfort and Fit: The helmet should always be comfortable to wear and fit securely on your head. It should just fit accurately to the diameter of your head and not cause swings with the road humps
- Straps adjustments: If in case you find the helmet a little loose try to test it by locking it’s straps. Tightening of straps avoid the unnecessary swings, and strengthen the helmet cushion to the head. Avoid straps which keep hanging or are loose
- Material and make: Helmet shall always be firm and solid from outside. Inner side of helmet should be soft. Exterior side of the helmet helps in shock tolerance whereas the inner side absorb the impact of the shock by keeping your head safe from injuries
- Cleanliness and hygiene: Always choose helmets with removable and washable materials so that you can keep your helmet clean and hygienic. Sweating and exposure to pollution causes inflammation and allergies, that can be avoided
- Weight: Weight of the helmet is a major factor for consideration. When you buy helmet you need to consider the driving element. You can not wear a motorcycle helmet while riding bicycle because of the effort and risk involved in riding the bicycle as compared to motorcycle. If possible wear the helmet for at least half an hour before making the purchase so you know how comfortable it is
- Style: There are different styles of the helmet like open face, full face, flip up, etc. You need to have a helmet depending on the kind of rider you are or the kind of ride you are going to embark on
- Ventilation: Helmets should always be well ventilated and should not cause suffocation while driving
- Certified Helmets: It is highly recommended to choose an ISI approved helmet for your protection. ISI mark helmet adhere to the standards laid down by the Bureau of Indian Standards and ensure helmets of the highest standard
If you’re considering buying a helmet, we recommend you should definitely spend considerable time in looking for the most appropriate. Each brand has a different form of helmet for the kind of ride that it will be used. Some of the popular brands world over are Dainese , Alpine Stars, LS2, AGV, and many more. Some of the popular brands in Indian market are Fastrack, Yamaha, Studds, Vega, etc.